Profile of the RF98
(Picture courtesy of Steve Prior)
The RF98 was professionally built by the Van Diemen factory to race in the 1998 National Formula Ford Zetec Championship (which featured drivers such as Rob Collard, Nicolas Kiesa, Dan Wheldon and Jenson Button).
Since then, the car has successfully been campaigned by Barry Pomfret Motorsport at national level.
The RF98 is still as per original Formula Ford Championship specification, and will be raced by myself, Paulio in the National F4 championship Class C (exclusively for cars of the same original specification).
Classes A and B which we run alongside feature cars with aerodynamic wings, more powerful engines and higher grip tyres.
The RF98 weighs in around 450Kgs, has around 140bhp (over 300bhp per tonne, which is more than a Ferrari 550, Lamborghini Countach etc), has top speed of near 150mph and is a mid engine, rear wheel drive layout.
The car also features a high-tech PI 2 data logging system, which monitors engine and car performance for the digital display system and technical analysis via laptop after each session.
(Picture courtesy of Twenty Seven Images)
• Van Diemen steel tube space-frame chassis
• MSA certified roll hoop protection
• Front double wishbone with pushrod suspension with onboard multi-adjustable Dynamic shocks.
• Rear double wishbone with tie bar and pushrod suspension with onboard multi-adjustable Dynamic shocks.
• Mid mounted in-line
• 1.8 16V Zetec by Ford
• Built by Scholar racing engines to Formula Ford regulations
•Original Formula Ford spec fuel injection system with top mounted airbox
• Pectel ECU
• Ford Motorsport exhaust
• ‘Dry sump’ oil system
• 4 speed Hewland LD200 gearbox/ transaxle (Van Diemen bellhousing) suspension load bearing and mounted in-line
• Interchangeable straight cut ‘dog engagement’ gears to alter ratios to suit each circuit
• Fibreglass nosecone, sidepods, cockpit sides and engine cover
•Aluminium floor panel
• Aluminium honeycomb impact absorbing nose section
• ‘Floating’ disks front and rear.
• Aluminium AP calipers
• Front/ rear split system with bias adjustment.
• Front: 13x6 Maddin aluminium split rims
• Rear: 13x7 Maddin aluminium split rims
• Avon racing ‘slick tyres’ for dry racing - class controlled compound
• Avon racing ‘wets’ treaded for damp/ wet racing – class controlled compound